Saturday, July 14, 2012

Entertaining - the First Steps

I have to admit that the first time I was at an event was probably my own christening.  I was a couple of weeks old and I know from the pictures that the party was held at my grandparent's house.  The 1970's gold couches and the arched doorways give it away.  When I think about all I "have" to have to entertain, I remember all those times where my grandparents entertained.  Their house was basically a box with two bedrooms off to the side. The remainder of the house was split in two - the kitchen, always painted a light blue with delft dishes and little dutchman accents.  The front room with big windows led out onto the porch. 

There was never a lot of discussion about fancy dishes, glasses, placemats, flowers.  But we were always surounded by family - Aunts, Uncles, cousins, great-aunts and great uncles, grandparents, and even in my early years great grandparents. 

See in those days it wasn't about what we had who we had with us.  Today it's so different for our family.  The cousins are dispersed amongst the states.  Only my parents live nearby.  And because we waited to have children, we are in a funky state.  All our friends who are our age have colllege-aged children.  All our friends who have kids the age of ours are about 10 years younger and don't always share the same remembrances.  So my first challenge is the question of who??

No comments:

Post a Comment