Saturday, July 7, 2012

I have to admit, that my husband whom I love dearly, was raised in an "I am a rock, I am an island" environment.  I can't understand how, but I'm all about being connected to others.  One of my biggest fears is getting old and having no friends around to share my life with.  Unfortunately, I think it's possible that I may be on the wrong path.  This last year, I've been doing a lot of reading about how sharing a meal or an occasion bonds people.  So can I be bonded to people I haven't shared anything with?  Good question.

So who was the first one to come up with this entertaining idea?  Somehow, I can't picture early women in their caves or tents, setting up table decorations and placecards, can you?  Were they dusting to make sure everything was spotless?  Did they secretly sneak out to someone else's tent, peeking under the flap to make sure their tent was just as nice?  I doubt it.  I get the idea for the early generations of people it was more about sharing a hunt or a harvest together.  Or maybe about celebrating a birth or a marriage. 

So maybe that's what I need to work on.  A little more sharing - a little less fussing about the perfect house, the perfect dishes, the perfect flowers/placecards, etc.  Not that anything is wrong with those lovely things - but only if it adds to the celebration.  For me, for now - it's just stressful.  But that's another post for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment